If you are in the market for a new garage door, there are a few things you will need to take into consideration. The suitable garage door for your property is a crucial consideration when deciding your home’s overall style and convenience.
Garage doors come in many different types today. You can choose from traditional, carriage-style, or modern garage doors to find the perfect look for your home. Garage doors can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, steel, aluminum, and fiberglass.
Your home’s overall style should be considered when purchasing a new garage door. A garage door should complement the style of your home, not clash with it. If you have a traditional home, you might want to select a traditional garage door. For a more modern home, a carriage-style or modern garage door might be a better choice.
Once you’ve selected the style of garage door you want, it’s time to choose the material. Wood garage doors are the most popular choice, but they require more maintenance than other materials. Steel and aluminum garage doors are more durable and require less maintenance, but they can be more expensive. Fiberglass garage doors are a good middle ground between wood and steel, offering durability and low maintenance requirements.
Whatever material or style you choose, your new garage door will add curb appeal and value to your home.
Common Type of Garage Doors and their Uses
You may encounter different types of garage doors during your search. Here is a short breakdown by OPS Services.
1. Standard garage doors
These are the most common type of garage doors. They are made of either wood or steel and are raised and lowered using a pulley system. Standard garage doors are typically used for detached garages.
- They are affordable
- They are easy to find
- They are easy to install
- They are easy to maintain
- They are not very energy efficient
- They can be loud when opening and closing
- They are not very secure
2. Sectional garage doors
These doors are made of several sections that hinge together. They are raised and lowered using a track system. Sectional garage doors are typically used for attached garages.
- They are easy to install and maintain
- They can be very energy-efficient
- They can be very expensive, especially if you need a custom size or style
- They are also very heavy, which can make them difficult to open and close
- The durability of these doors is not as high as that of other types of garage doors.
3. Roller garage doors
These doors are made of a series of horizontal panels that roll up and down. They are operated using a hand-held remote or a wall-mounted switch. Roller garage doors are typically used for detached garages.
- They take up less space than a traditional door since they roll up rather than swing out.
- They are generally more secure than a traditional door since they cannot be pried open as easily.
- They can be equipped with automatic opener systems, which are convenient and can make your life easier.
- They can be noisy, especially if they are not properly maintained.
- They can be somewhat difficult to install and may require professional assistance.
- The aesthetic appeal of them may not be as pleasing as a traditional door, depending on your personal preferences.
4. Side-hinged garage doors
These doors are hinged on one side and open outward. They are typically used for detached garages.
- You can open and close it without having to open the entire garage door.
- It is convenient if you only need to get in or out of your car quickly.
- They are also easier to install and generally more affordable.
- They take up more space than a traditional garage door. Side-hinged doors require more space than sliding doors since they must swing open and close.
- They can be more difficult to install than a traditional garage door. This is because the door needs to be properly balanced so that it doesn’t swing open or close on its own.
5. Up-and-over garage doors
These doors open outward and then up and over. They are operated using a hand-held remote or a wall-mounted switch. Up-and-over garage doors are typically used for attached garages.
- Up-and-over garage doors are relatively easy to install. This is because they do not require any special tracks or springs, and they can be installed using basic tools.
- They are also easy to operate. You can simply open and close them using a handle or a remote control.
- Up-and-over garage doors are very strong and durable. They are made of tough materials that can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- They provide good security for your home. Up-and-over garage doors are usually made of